
Last night I did something I never, ever thought I would do. I did a track running workout.
Now keep in mind, this girl, at age 12 when starting 7th grade cried uncontrollably after running the mile during presidential fitness testing. I think I finished in 13 minutes and change and from then on I hated running. Hated it!
Slowly but surly I've grown over the past 16 years to love running. I'm in the midst of half marathon training (3 weeks and counting!) and loving every minute of it. So when my tri club offered a "Track 101" clinic for people who had never done track workouts before I jumped on it.
We met in Kezar Stadium which is a huge arena on the south side of Golden Gate Park. I've lived in the area near the park for almost 4 years and I never knew this resource was here. It's full in the evenings of different groups and individuals using the track to get their runs in.
We had a good group show up for the clinic. After some shop talk and a quick warm up we learned a bunch of drills, some of which were familiar from my volleyball, basketball and volleyball days (butt kicks, high knees, grape vines) and some of which are totally new (Greyhound strides). Then we did a few laps around the track before cooling down and going to the Kezar Pub for drinks. This was just the first of many track workouts I'll be going in Kezar Stadium. Love it!
1 comment:
That does sound like fun! Found your blog off BT. Looking forward to following!
- Lora
Post a Comment