Saturday, March 14, 2009

Irish Soda Bread

And the bread obsession continues.

In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day this coming week I decided to try the Irish Soda Bread from the March issue of Martha Stewart Living (recipe here). As I develop my baking skills I'm always looking to try something new, and since this bread doesn't use yeast and has some interesting flavor combinations (raisins and caraway seeds anyone?) I decided to give it a whirl.

First off, wheat bran (one of the ingredients) is quite hard to find. We searched high and low today at both Trader Joe's and Safeway with no luck. So I decided to buy wheat bran cereal and grind it up to replace the 1 cup of wheat bran that the recipe calls for. It ended up turning out great! We tested it out tonight with some butter and I LOVE the amazing flavor combinations and the rustic texture of the bread.


We'll see if we have any left come Tuesday to go with the corned beef and cabbage I'll be making.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

2 comments:

w9yards said...

Looks really yummy! Good idea on the substitution!

Chef Ann said...

yuuuummmm!!