Friday, February 20, 2009

Picking up the knitting needles again

Since the wedding I've wanted nothing to do with crafting. So many months were spent on table designs and invitations and all that jazz, that when all was said and done I needed some time off to let my brain rest. I think I'm finally coming out of this rest and am starting to feel crafty again.

My main craft has always been knitting, even though I have never progressed past the scarf stage. My grandma taught me how to knit when I was 8 years old, and all the women in my family either knit or crochet or both.

I knit in stages. I'll work on a project diligently for awhile then not touch it for a year or two. Case in point, this scarf which I've picked back up again for the 4th or 5th time. I started it back in 2002 and here it is 2009 and I'm still not finished.


This year I want to focus on knitting more frequently, while also learning how to make other things like hats, or even sweaters. A friend and I are planning to take a intermediate knitting class this spring to further develop our skills. To help with this I stumbled across an amazing website on the Craft board on The Nest: Ravelry. You have to sign up to join, but this has to be the coolest site I've seen in a long time.

It's a hybrid between a social networking site for knitters and crocheters and a place to organize all of your current projects, future projects and yarn stash. I won't go into all of the particulars here because I could write a novel, but if you have any interest in knitting or crochet, sign up for an invite to the site and I promise, you won't be disappointed!

No comments: